Need to whip up a quick and easy breakfast staple to impress the kids (or your family at brunch…or even your significant other?) With the perfect amount of creamy yet savory, all taste buds will be left satiated with this delicious and highly customizable everything seasoning cream cheese recipe.
My boyfriend and I have always been Stans of anything bacon and everything-bagel related. Our love for the taste started in college during our morning-after runs to Brugger’s, where we would devour bacon-scallion cream cheese ridden everything bagels for breakfast before dousing ourselves in some much-needed coffee.
After graduating college and moving over 30 miles away from the nearest Brugger’s cafe, we began a new search for the much-loved taste of bacon and an everything-seasoned bagel. While some local bakeries offered the option, they were either inconveniently located or open at odd hours. Thinking we were simply out of luck, our hope for the salty-yet-savory breakfast staple started to fade… Until I accidentally re-created it.
That’s right, sometimes the best discoveries are mistakes after all. The best part about this recipe is that you don’t even need a bagel… any good-quality bread (or bagel) will do! We personally love toasting up some fresh sourdough bread for this delectable spread and use Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend.
The other beauty of this everything seasoning cream cheese recipe is that it’s highly customizable, so whether you are gluten-intolerant, paleo-loving, or even vegetarian, feel free to sub ingredients in or out for the ultimate spread. Now, you and your S/O will never have to be without an amazing start to your mornings!
The Best Everything Cream Cheese Recipe
- 8 oz cream cheese (plain)
- 1-2 strips bacon (organic, uncured)
- 2 tbsp everything bagel seasoning (Trader Joes)
- 1/4 onion (optional)
- 2 tbsp fresh scallions, finely chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Farenheit.
- Allow the cream cheese to soften at room temperature while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and lay the strips of bacon. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Once the bacon is cooked, immediately remove the bacon from the fat in the pan and allow to cool completely.
- Once the bacon is cooled and crispy, crumble it up into a small bowl. Use a mortar and pestle to crush the bacon into even smaller pieces. If you do not own a mortar and pestle, use the back of butter knife to crush the bacon as small as possible.
- Finally, add the cream cheese and everything bagel seasoning to the bacon bits and mix until uniform. Add chopped scallions if desired. Voila!
- Optional: If you would like to add some caramelized onion to your cream cheese, chop up 1/4 of an onion and sauté it in a pan on low heat with a teaspoon of butter, pinch of salt, and pinch of sugar until desired color is achieved. Once cooled, add caramelized onions to your cream cheese.
Vegetarian? Skip the bacon. Gluten-intolerant? Opt for some Udi’s gluten-free bagels to accompany the spread. Vegan? Start with some vegan cream cheese instead of dairy cream cheese and skip the bacon. It’s all up to you!